Sample CPC or CCS questions and Answers
1. Which does not indicate the catheter was placed on the right side of the heart?
- Pulmonary artery
- Pulmonary wedge
- Right ventricle
2.Which can be coded separately by the physician’s office during a cardiac catheterization?1
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Road mapping of artery
- Interpretation of imaging
- Placement of closure device
Rationale: Since all the diagnostic cardiac catheterization CPT codes does not include intravascular ultrasound, it should be reported separately while coding cardiac catheterization procedures. These procedures include introduction, positioning and/or repositioning of the catheter within the vascular system; road mapping angiography, recording of intracardiac and/or intravascular pressures; intraprocedural injection for angiography; supervision and interpretation of angiography; and contrast injection to image the access site for placing a closure device.
Intravascular ultrasound CPT code +92978 should be coded separately in addition with primary procedure and use CPT code +92979 for each additional vessel.
Read also: How to prepare for CCS certification exam
3. Which ICD-10-CM code would support medical necessity for an implantable cardioverter defibrillator placement for non-primary (secondary) prevention of sudden cardiac death?
Rationale: The list of ICD 10 codes except I47.2 does not meet indications for primary prevention. Implantable cardioverter defibrillator implantation of non-primary prevention of sudden cardiac death is performed due to the patient already experiencing an abnormal heart rhythm or cardiac arrest.
Read also: How to Clear CPC exam in First Attempt
4. True or False: When assigning ICD-10-CM codes, assume there is a link between diabetes and CKD when both conditions are documented.
5. True or False: ICD-10-CM presumes a linkage between diabetes and osteomyelitis.
Rationale: ICD-10-CM does not presume a linkage between diabetes and osteomyelitis. The provider needs to document a linkage or relationship between the two conditions before it can be coded as such.
6. Which is proper ICD-10-CM coding for a patient with type 2 diabetes with documented diabetic ketoacidosis?
- E11.0, E87.2
- E13.10, E87.2
Rationale: Type 2 diabetes with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is reported with E13.10 Other specified diabetes mellitus with ketoacidosis without coma. Do not separately report the DKA. No code exists for DKA with type 2 diabetes.